A fascinating first day on the module thinking about stakeholders and our ‘technology stories’
Generally I’m a practical learner and want to get into the nitty gritty of designing and building activities so it was refreshing to take a step back and think about things from the aspects of drivers and context. A common point emerging from both these sessions was not to make assumptions either about the stakeholders as well as learners. Just looking at the three different technology stories highlighted a range of different preferences and uses of technology. Although I’d not thought that everyone would be ‘the same’ I hadn’t really thought through the potential nuances of how people use phones, laptops, desktops and papers and want for: ranging from those capturing everything on a phone and not having a desktop to others who wouldn’t be separated from their pen and paper. (I’m somewhere in between.) This raises a few questions…
- How do our technology stories compare to those of our learners?
- To what extent do we need to bring these together?
- What pressures does this place on you as a teacher?
- What does it mean for your students?
I love the concept Amber introduced of ‘history of the future’ and thinking about what you would be reporting once the project/activity had been successful:
- What happened at each stage?
- How did you meet the needs of different learners?
- What strategies were successful in promoting it?
The other things I picked up throughout the day were different technologies I want to explore (some for work, some for home, some just because I’m curious).
- If this then that – coordinating alerts from multiple systems and what happens as a result https://ifttt.com/
- Wemo – a plug that allows you to control devices wirelesslyhttp://www.belkin.com/uk/F7C027/p/P-F7C027
- Pushover (paid for app) managing notifications https://pushover.net/
- Upad – iPad note taking software http://www.appsafari.com/notes/16761/upad/
- Inkling – interactive books https://www.inkling.com/
- IfLED – simple tool to appear message appear like LED on screen of phone or similar